An unattended candle is never a good idea, though American’s across the country do it every year…and right on their front porch! Did you know: From 2009-2013, U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated 9,300 structure fires that were started by candles. Even more; a study by FEMA shows the number of suspicious fires or those attributed to arson typically rises around Halloween. Think about it, accident or not; an open flame candle placed inside of a hollow pumpkin is prime to be kicked, tripped or tossed around. Combined with seasonal decorations, it can be a recipe for disaster.
Keep Halloween decor away from open flames such as dried cornstalks, hay, synthetic spiderwebs, scarecrows, drapery, flags and anything else that could be flammable. A subtle whisk of the wind on an unattended candle can quickly turn into a disaster. Now, we’re not saying its a bad idea to be festive, we only suggest being mindful of where and how you decorate. Instead of a candle or tea light, we recommend one of the many non-hazardous alternatives such as a battery-operated LED light or a glow stick.
Take away: Keep a lid on it, watch the flame, mind the location, opt for LED lights instead of open flame tea candles, and most importantly, never leave an empty candy dish on the porch.
Article fact source: http://www.nfpa.org/public-education/by-topic/top-causes-of-fire/candles